Delicious 30 Minute One Pan Chicken Parmesan
Some of you know that I have a cake business here in Knoxville, TN. It has continued to grow which has left me with less time to prepare dinner on most weeknights. So I am always on the lookout for an easy 30 minute meal that the whole family will love. This Chicken Parmesan is just the ticket because not only is it fast, but it’s all in one pot which means there are less dishes! What’s not to love about that? Let me show you how to make it:
Preparing the Chicken Parmesan
First, heat your oven to 350 degrees or preheat your broiler if you have one. Make sure your chicken breasts are pounded down to 1/2 inch thickness so that they cook evenly in the sauce. Pour 3/4 cup of Italian breadcrumbs into a shallow dish. Dredge the chicken in the crumbs on both sides and press down so they adhere. Set the chicken aside.
In a large oven-safe saute pan (you can even use your cast iron skillet), heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Cook each chicken breast about 3-4 minutes on each side. Once cooked, remove the chicken to a separate plate, add 2 more tablespoons of oil, and repeat until all your chicken is cooked. I highly suggest getting a grease splatter screen if you don’t have one already. This is a cheap way of keeping the counters and stove clean from greasy oil. My pan was large enough to fit all the chicken at once, so I put all 4 tablespoons of oil in at one time and used my 15 inch screen.
The chicken should be nicely browned with crispy edges.
Cooking the Chicken Parmesan
Using the same pan, heat one more tablespoon of oil and saute 1 tablespoon of minced garlic. This only needs to cook about a minute. Add in 24 ounces of your favorite spaghetti sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon each of Kosher salt and pepper. Sometimes I even use my Crockpot Bolognese Sauce if I have some on hand. Let it come to a boil and then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Next, place the chicken back into the sauce, making sure it coats the sides of the chicken.
Sprinkle on a cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan. Then tear up about 1/2 cup of basil and place it around the pot. Put the entire pan into the oven for about 5 to 10 minutes so the cheese can melt. If you are using a broiler, it will only need to be in there 3 to 5 minutes.
When you pull the Chicken Parmesan out of the oven, you can sprinkle on another half cup of basil. The chicken should be tender, moist, and easily cut. I served ours with a simple veggie salad. Sometimes I use bottled Caesar dressing and other times I make a yummy homemade Italian Basil Dressing that only takes 5 minutes.
Save or pin this Chicken Parmesan recipe for later, and while you’re at it, you may want to check out my other 30 Minute Meals or my Recipe Index. Some of my favorite quick dinners are Loaded Black Bean Nachos, Spicy Shrimp Fried Rice, and One Pan Lemon Chicken. I hope one of these tickles your fancy, if not, check out my Pinterest boards below. Happy Cooking y’all!
30 Minute One Pan Chicken Parmesan
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 4-6 chicken breasts or tenderloins pounded 1/2 inch thick
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 24 oz spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup torn fresh basil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place panko crumbs in a shallow dish and dredge both sides of the chicken. Press down so all sides of the chicken are coated.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large oven-safe saute pan and cook over medium heat, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove to a separate plate, add 2 Tbsp oil again, and repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Add last 1 Tbsp of oil to pan and saute garlic for 1 minute. Add spaghetti sauce and seasonings.
- Bring sauce to a boil and then reduce heat to low and let simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken into the sauce, pushing the sauce up onto the sides.
- Top with half the basil, Parmesan, and mozzerella.
- Place entire pan into the oven and heat until cheese melts and is bubbling, about 5-10 minutes. If using a broiler, just 3 minutes should do the trick.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle on the remaining 1/2 cup basil.