Lunch can be tough. I get tired of sandwiches but don't want to spend the money or calories on lunch at a fast food joint. Avocado Pita Pocket Sandwiches are a fun way to switch things up but stay healthy and full at the same time!
The filling for these pita pocket sandwiches is packed full of protein! In a small bowl, combine the following ingredients:
2 cans of drained garbanzo beans (chickpeas if you are in the South!)
2 ripe avocados
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
3 chopped green onions
salt and pepper to taste
squeeze of lemon juice
Mash everything together until you have a somewhat smooth but slightly chunky texture. I used my potato masher to help me mash some of the garbanzo beans.
Find some pita pocket bread or flatbread at the market. I prefer the pita pockets because I can stuff all sorts of yumminess inside. It feels like a sandwich, but it has way less carbs!
I usually layer a leaf of lettuce on the bottom, a generous portion of the avocado mixture in the middle, and then cucumbers and tomatoes on top.
Pita Pocket Sandwiches are such a filling lunch, but with zero guilt afterwards! I round out the meal with hummus and pretzels and I'm a happy camper. Pre-made hummus is easy to find, but I also make a Classic Lemon Garlic Hummus that I keep in the fridge for quick snacks.
If you like to prep your lunches for the entire week or are just looking for some lighter meals, these sandwiches are a great option. These are also great on picnics!
If you try these, leave me a message in the comment section and let me know what you think! Happy cooking y'all!
Avocado Pita Pocket Sandwiches
For the Avocado Filling
- 2 15.5 oz cans garbanzo beans also known as chickpeas
- 2 ripened avocado
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 3 chopped green onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
For the Sandwiches
- 4 pita pocket sandwich breads
- 8 leaves lettuce
- 1 sliced cucumber
- 2 sliced tomatoes
- Mash the first 5 ingredients in a medium-sized bowl using a potato masher.
- Add salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste.
- Cut each pita pocket in half, gently open, and place a leaf of lettuce on the inside.
- Divide the avocado mixture among all 8 halves of the pita bread, smearing on top of the lettuce.
- Fill sandwiches with cucumber, tomatoes, and whatever other desired toppings.