Keeping with the Mexican/avocado theme I have going this week, I thought I’d share one of my favorite fajita recipes. This is a quick, go-to meal that is easy to make, flavorful, and relatively healthy. I also appreciate that this meal only costs $15, even less if you buy in bulk or shop generic. There is nothing fancy about this meal; it’s just a good ole’ family favorite. To make it fun for the kids, I roll the fajitas up like burritos and call them chicken fajita roll ups. I don’t know why they get a kick out of that, but hey, it gets them to eat it!
Start with a large saute pan and a tablespoon of oil. Don’t put too much or the veggies will go limp.
Throw in one onion, a red bell pepper, and a green bell pepper. I cut these in strips so that they will cook evenly and roll up neatly in the tortilla. Don’t they look pretty?
Continue to cook the peppers for about 5 to 7 minutes, tossing every so often. Leave them for a minute or two so they can get those nice char marks.
While the veggies are still crisp, put them to the side and add another tablespoon of oil to your pan for the chicken.
Cut 4 chicken breasts into strips and begin to brown the meat.
Halfway through cooking, add a packet of your favorite taco or fajita seasoning and 1/2 cup of water. I use Lawry’s seasoning; it’s my favorite!
Let that come to a boil and cook the meat all the way through.
When the chicken is done, toss the peppers back in and mix them in the sauce. Remove them from the heat; the fajita filling is ready!
You can skip this step, but I find that warming the tortillas over the open flame really adds to the “fajita” experience. I hold the tortilla with tongs and let it bubble on one side and then flip it over, being careful not to let it catch fire or stick to the stove.
See? Can’t you just smell that warm flour tortilla?
Smear some sour cream on the bottom and then add the filling.
Top it with cheese and roll it up like a burrito, keeping both sides shut.
Cut it diagonally in the middle and Viola! The chicken fajita roll up is finished! For my husband and I, I leave the fajitas open-faced and add homemade salsa and chunky guacamole. The fajita mixture also works really well atop salad greens if you need to cut out some carbs. Do you have a special way of eating fajitas? I hope you enjoy this easy, family friendly meal!
Chicken Fajita Roll Ups
- 8 flour tortillas warmed
- 2 Tablespoons oil divided
- 1 onion cut in slivers
- 1 red 1 green bell pepper cut in slivers
- 4-5 chicken breasts cut in strips
- 1 packet fajita/taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup sour cream divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in large saute pan.
- Saute onion and bell peppers for 5 min, remove while crisp.
- Add 1 Tbsp oil to saute pan and add chicken.
- Saute chicken until browned, about 5 minutes. Add in taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water.
- Let chicken and sauce come to a boil, about 2 minutes.
- Add veggies back into saute pan and coat with sauce. Remove from heat.
- Warm tortillas over open flame.
- Smear 1 Tbsp sour cream on tortilla, add one scoop fajita mix, top with cheese.
- Roll up tortilla and cut diagonally.