When has the Crockpot ever let me down? Never. Well, except when I have forgotten to turn it on. Yeah, that’s a bummer…but other than that, the slow cooker is my best friend and probably my number one used appliance. This week I used it to make Crockpot Shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwiches for an easy but delicious dinner. The kids kept theirs plain on a simple hoagie roll, but these can totally be doctored up with all kinds of veggies. Let me show you how easy they are to make:
In a bowl, mix together a 12 ounce bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce and 1/2 cup of Italian dressing. I used Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce. Add in 1/4 cup of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce and whisk it until smooth.
Pour the BBQ sauce mixture over 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and toss them around until all sides are coated.
Pour them into a Crockpot and cook on LOW for 4 hours and 30 minutes.
When time is up, remove the chicken from the sauce and shred it with two forks.
Now the Crockpot shredded BBQ chicken is ready to be put back into the slow cooker and mixed with the sauce. There is no need to cook it any longer. Just leave the chicken on WARM until you are ready to serve it.
For sandwiches piled high with Crockpot shredded BBQ chicken, I use a handy dandy trick I saw on some cooking show once. I wish I could remember who it was so I could give them credit buuuuuuuuuuuuuut….my memory fails me. I’m getting old. I’m not as sharp as I once was. I like to blame my kids and say that they are the ones responsible for dulling my mental capabilities, but really the gray hairs popping out of my head are just an indication of the fuzziness inside my brain. See, I even forgot what I started out to say in this paragraph…
ANYway, pull out the bread on the inside of a hoagie roll so the chicken has a pocket to sit inside of rather than spilling out all over your plate. This also saves a few calories and you’ll never notice!
My kids like Crockpot shredded BBQ chicken sandwiches plain. But I know for a fact that these are awesome with red onion, tomato, and even avocado. In fact, you can skip the roll altogether and turn this into a chicken salad or BBQ chicken burrito.
I served ours with good ol’ fashioned Cheetos and my Great Grandma Ruth’s Potato Salad. This potato salad has been in my family for 5 generations now and I have never seen anybody turn it down. It would also go great with Sweet Apple Celery Coleslaw that is made with a vinegar base, rather than all the mayo.
Crockpot Shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- 12 oz bottle BBQ sauce such as Sweet Baby Rays
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 hoagie rolls
- Whisk together the first 4 ingredients and pour over the chicken breasts.
- Make sure the chicken breast is well coated in sauce.
- Place the chicken and sauce mixture into the Crockpot and cook on LOW for 4.5 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred with two forks.
- Put the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and stir it into the sauce.
- Cut the hoagie rolls in half and remove small pieces of the bread to create a "pocket.'
- Put the Crockpot shredded BBQ chicken inside the rolls and serve with your favorite toppings.
- Optional toppings: lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado