It's never a good idea to get on the scale after vacation. Though I appreciate a meal that someone else prepared for me, it's better for me to eat at home.
So after an awesome two week road trip where we splurged outlandishly, it's time to get back to the routine. That's why I like this recipe for Healthy Blueberry Bran Muffins. They are a great light breakfast or afternoon snack full of fiber and nutritious ingredients.
How to Make Healthy Blueberry Muffins
To make these healthy blueberry muffins, you'll first need to start with a medium-sized bowl and soak 1 1/2 cups of flaked bran with 1 cup of almond milk for 10 minutes.
Make sure to use the flaked bran (like raisin bran) and not the thick, stick-like bran. Flaked bran cooks better.
You can also use whatever milk you prefer in this recipe. I have also used lowfat milk and soy milk in this recipe and the muffins have turned out fine.
In a separate bowl, mix together the following ingredients:
1/4 cup flax seed
1 Tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp each baking powder and baking soda
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg (in the pictures I was doubling the recipe)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup local honey
1/4 cup applesauce (you can use one of those snack packs)
1/4 cup coconut oil melted
Once all those ingredients are combined, add in the bran that has been soaking and 1 cup of fresh blueberries.
The batter of the blueberry bran muffins may seem thin, but it will bake up well, I promise.
You'll need about 18 cupcake liners, filled about 3/4 of the way full. Pop these in an oven heated to 375 degrees and bake for 25-30 minutes.
You'll know the blueberry bran muffins are done when you can smell them baking and when they spring back to the touch.
I love these things! They taste wonderfully and don't make you feel guilty when eating one!
I regularly serve brunches for my customers, and this recipe for healthy blueberry bran muffins is always a hit. Even my kids gobble these down for breakfast or a snack.
If you think you'll like this recipe for Healthy Blueberry Bran Muffins, you'll love my recipe for Extra Fluffy Blueberry Muffins! This is my most viewed recipe on my website! Enjoy and happy cooking y'all!
Save this pin on Pinterest and if you try the recipe, please leave me a comment of what you think below.
Healthy Blueberry Bran Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups large flaked bran cereal
- 1 cup almond milk can sub another milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup honey local honey is best
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 cup blueberries
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin tins with 18 cupcake liners.
- Put the bran flakes into a medium sized bowl with the almond milk and let it soak for 10 minutes.
- Mix the dry ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients. Mix everything together until smooth.
- Gently fold in the blueberries and the bran flakes that were soaking and make sure everything is blended together.
- Fill the muffin tins with the batter until nearly full.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Muffins will spring back to the touch.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Muffins can be refrigerated for 5 days or frozen up to 3 months.