It finally decided to rain here in Knoxville after a horribly long dry spell in August and September. We usually have rain every few days, but this was nearly two months of no rain, high temps, and high humidity. Basically it was miserable and I am sooooooooooooooooooo glad it has cooled down!
So I decided to celebrate by making one of my favorite fall recipes: A Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling! This is one of my husband's favorite desserts. If left unattended, he will eat the whole thing!
It can look a bit intimidating, but I assure you, this recipe is easy to make! Just follow these simple instructions:
Ingredients for the Pumpkin Roll
The ingredients for the pumpkin roll are fairly simple and you might even have them all on hand!
Mix the following dry ingredients in a bowl:
3/4 cup of flour (I used all-purpose)
1/2 teaspoon each of baking powder & baking soda
2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
Now cream these wet ingredients together:
1 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and slowly mix, just until combined.
How to Make a Pumpkin Roll
To prepare your cookie sheet, simply line the entire thing with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper lightly with cooking spray.
And here's my little secret: cut a few small strips of parchment paper and stick them under the main parchment paper lining. Let some of the parchment stick out the sides (like in the picture above) so that it is easy to lift the bread once it is cooked.
Use a rubber spatula to spread out the mix evenly over your prepared cookie sheet. Make sure to push the mixture into the corners and get it as level as possible.
Bake the pumpkin roll at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes. The roll should spring back when you touch it.
After a few minutes of cooling, gently pull up on the parchment strips you left hanging off the sides. Gently roll the pumpkin roll up as tight as possible. Leave it to cool on a wire rack with the lip of the roll on the bottom.
Letting the pumpkin roll cool while rolled up will help ensure it won't break when you add the cream cheese filling and roll it up a second time.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
The cream cheese filling inside this pumpkin roll is what makes this fall dessert absolutely irresistible!
- 1 8oz block of cream cheese at room temperature (full fat works best)
- 1/2 cup softened butter (1 stick)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 heaping cup powdered sugar
If you notice the cream cheese icing is too thick, add a teaspoon of water. If it is too thin, add more powdered sugar. The frosting should hold it's shape but be spreadable.
Once the pumpkin roll has completely cooled and come to room temperature, unravel the roll and spread the cream cheese frosting over the entire rectangle.
Be careful not to spread the frosting all the way to the edge of the roll. Leave about 1 inch of space around the entire thing so that frosting won't squirt out the sides!
Now roll everything back up and set the pumpkin roll to cool in the fridge until you are ready to serve!
When you are ready to serve it, cut off the ends to reveal that pretty swirl and then sprinkle the top with powdered sugar!
You should be able to get 8 to 10 healthy slices out of this recipe. But if you're my husband, it only makes one, LOL!
Pumpkin Muffins & Pumpkin Bread
I have great recipes that works for these! They taste great just plain, but if you want to kick it up a notch, I show you how to make easy vanilla frosting in this versatile Pumpkin Muffin Recipe.
I have even taken my pumpkin muffin recipe and made mini pumpkin muffins topped with that delicious cream cheese frosting I described earlier in this post. But if baking is not your thing, and you are ever around in the Knoxville Tennessee area, give me a ring. I am always baking in my bakery and would love to make you a delicious treat!
Basically, you can't go wrong with this stuff. It's awesome! What is your favorite fall recipe? Drop me a line in the comment section below! Happy cooking y'all!
Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling
- 15x10 cookie sheet
- stand or handheld mixer
For the Pumpkin Roll
- 3/4 cup flour I used all-purpose
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
For the Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 8 oz cream cheese full fat recommended, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar plus more for sprinkling on top
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick softened, (I used Imperial)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
To Prepare the Cookie Sheet
- Line a 15x10 cookie sheet with parchment paper. Let some of the parchment hang off the short sides to easily lift the pumpkin roll once cooled.
- Spray the parchment with cooking spray.
To Prepare the Pumpkin Roll
- Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Combine the wet ingredients in a separate large bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and slowly mix, just until incorporated.
- Pour the pumpkin roll mixture onto the prepared cookie sheet and make sure to press the mixture into the corners. Use a spatula to smooth the top and get it uniformly flat.
- Bake the roll at 375 degrees for about 12 to 15 minutes. The cake should spring back to the touch when done.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then gently lift the parchment hanging off the sides to begin rolling up the pumpkin roll. Roll it up as tightly as possible, moving slowly as not to break it.
- Let the pumpkin roll cool completely to room temperature before unraveling and adding the cream cheese filling.
To Prepare the Cream Cheese Filling
- Use a stand or handheld mixer to cream all the ingredients for the cream cheese frosting.
- Frosting should hold its shape but be spreadable.
- If frosting is too thick, add 1 tsp water. If too thin, add powdered sugar.
- Once the pumpkin roll is cooled to room temperature, unravel and spread the cream cheese mixture along the rectangle, leaving 1 inch of space between the frosting and the edge.
- Re-roll the pumpkin roll and set seam side down in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Cut off the ends to reveal the pretty cream cheese swirl.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar upon serving.