There is nothing quite as comforting as a bowl of hot soup on a cold day. I guess it could get a little better by adding a warm blanket, fluffy socks, and a Netflix binge session, but I have three small children that invade all my time and space, so the soup will have to do. That is precisely why I made this scrumptious Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili. It warmed me from the inside out and made my tasebuds dance with all the Mexican flavors. I especially love this recipe because the slow cooker does all the work and it calls for ingredients I usually have stocked in the pantry. Check it out:
Cooking the Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili
Making this Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili is easy peasy. Start with 4 large chicken breasts on the bottom of your Crockpot. Make sure as much of the chicken is touching the bottom and sides as possible. On top of the chicken, layer the following ingredients:
One small onion cut in lengthwise strips
4 oz can of green chiles
14 oz can each of black beans and kidney beans
14 oz can of diced tomatoes with chiles
12 oz bag of frozen corn
8 oz can of tomato sauce
Now, you’ll need to add 1 teaspoon each of the following spices to kick this Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili into high gear:
Mix everything together being careful not to lift the chicken off the bottom of the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
When the timer goes off, lift out the chicken and shred it with two forks. It should fall apart easily. Then place it back in the Crockpot and mix it all together.
Assembling the Chicken Taco Chili
Assembling the Crockpot chicken taco chili is easy: simply dish it up while it is still warm and top it with your favorite Mexican toppings! My family loves shredded sharp cheddar cheese and sour cream.
Sometimes my husband and I like things a little spicier so we will add diced jalapenos on top. It also looks pretty with a sprig of cilantro for a pop of color.
This hearty soup is a great crowd pleaser and perfect for the family that eats at different times. It also freezes well and transports easily if you know someone who could benefit from a warm, comforting meal. For more family-friendly dinners, you might like to check out my Recipe Index where you’ll find Crockpot Meals, 30 Minute Meals, and even delicious Baked Goods. For even more ideas, please follow my Pinterest boards below. Happy cooking y’all!
Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- small onion cut in slivers
- 14.5 oz can each of kidney beans and black beans
- 14.5 can diced tomatoes with chiles
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 12 oz bag frozen corn
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp each of the following spices: cumin chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese sour cream, cilantro, jalapenos
- Layer the chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pour all of the ingredients on top of the chicken.
- Mix everything together, being careful not to lift the chicken off the bottom.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.
- When time is up, pull the chicken out and shred with forks then return to the slow cooker.
- Serve warm topped with cheese, sour cream, and cilantro.