There is a reason some recipes have been around for nearly a century. They are classic, foolproof, and most of all, delicious! Such is the case with chicken and broccoli casserole. Is there anyone who HASN’T eaten it? The beauty of this version is that you can assemble and cook it in 30 minutes. It also is budget friendly, freezable, and a perfect gift for a friend. I got the original recipe from Spend With Pennies, but tweaked the recipe a bit to my own liking. Here’s what you can do:
First, cut up 3 cups of cooked chicken into bite-sized cubes. You can use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to save time, or you can grill your own chicken. I usually opt for the outside grill if there is good weather. If not, I flatten chicken breasts with a meat mallet, season each side with salt and pepper, and then cook on the stove top in a tablespoon or two of oil. 5 to 6 minutes on each side usually does the trick.
Meanwhile, heat the oven to 400 degrees. Then cut up two large heads of broccoli into bite-sized pieces. It should equal about 3 cups, more or less. Place these in a large pot of boiling water for about 2 to 3 minutes, and then remove them just when they are becoming tender.
Then, in a medium sized bowl, mix together 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup of 2% milk, and 2/3 cup of light sour cream. You will also need a can of cream of chicken soup. I always buy the MSG free cream of chicken soup because of my allergy to the preservative. You can also use your own cream sauce if you prefer. Toss in 1/2 teaspoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, dry mustard, freshly ground pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of Kosher salt. Whisk this combination together until it is smooth and creamy.
When the broccoli and chicken are done, put them into the cream sauce and mix everything together.
Bake the chicken and broccoli casserole for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbly.
The chicken and broccoli casserole is delicious as is, but lots of people like to serve it over rice or noodles.
30 Minute Meals seem to be my go-to dinners these days, especially as my kids get older and are involved in more activities. Some other easy dinners I find myself making all the time are 30 Minute Black Bean Fajitas, Spicy Shrimp Fried Rice, and the super quick 10 Minute French Onion Roast Beef Sandwiches. If you need even more ideas, check out my Recipe Index or my full line up of Crockpot Meals.
If this dinner interests you, pin this image for later. You can also find more delicious meals on my Pinterest boards below. Happy cooking y’all!
30 Minute Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 3 -4 cups bite-sized broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 2/3 lite sour cream
- 10 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 tsp each garlic powder onion powder, dry mustard, pepper
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Set pot of water to boil for the broccoli.
- Cut of chicken and broccoli in bite sized pieces.
- Cook broccoli for 2-3 minutes in boiling water until tender.
- Mix milk, sour cream, soup, seasonings, and 1 cup of cheese in a medium bowl.
- Add the chicken and broccoli when ready.
- Pour contents into a 13x9 glass pan and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Serve as is or over noodles or rice,